NFL Weather Hall of Fame
Exhibition, Preseason and Practice Weather Events
- Practice, May 2, 2009, Dallas Cowboys Practice Facility, Valley Ranch, Texas
A microburst from a severe thunderstorm struck the Dallas Cowboys Practice Facility in Valley Ranch, Texas during a spring rookie camp. The winds from the microburst, estimated by the National Weather Service to be 70 mph, partially collapsed the metal frame and canvas walls of the Cowboys' practice shelter. Falling frame pieces injured 12 in the facility, including scouting assistant Rich Behm. Behm's injuries left him paralyzed from the waist down.
- Preseason, August 28, 2003, Lambeau Field, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Tennessee Titans (27) vs. Green Bay Packers (3)
Game suspended with 2:05 remaining in 2nd quarter (8:28 pm CDT) due to heavy rain and lightning. Game resumed after a two-and-a-half hour delay, at 11:01 pm CDT. The remaining two minutes of the first half were played followed by the complete second half without the regular half-time break. The game ended at 12:46 am CDT.
During the first quarter there was a severe thunderstorm warning for a hail storm in the north part of Brown County (Green Bay's county).
- 2003 Hall of Fame Game, August 4, 2003, Canton, Ohio
Green Bay (0) vs. Kansas City Chiefs (9)
Halted by heavy rain and lightning with 5:49 to go in the 3rd quarter.
- Vikings Practice, July 31, 2001, Mankato, Minnesota
Vikings' tackle Korey Stringer died of heatstroke.
Temperatures were in the low 90s and the humidity was very high.
- Pre-season, August 16, 1997, Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois
Arizona (10) at Chicago (22)
Arizona at Chicago postponed before the start one day due to a
severe thunderstorm. Officials had delayed start 70 minutes waiting
for rain to stop.
Game was played in the rain the following day, before a crowd of 22,331.
Chicago won the game, but the headline was a serious injury to the
Bears' wide-receiver, Curtis Conway.
- Pre-season, August 22, 1996, Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois
Kansas City (14) at Chicago (10)
Halted by lightning at 4:20 in the 3rd.
- 1980 Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio
Green Bay (0) vs. San Diego (0)
Halted by lightning at 5:29 in the 4th.
- Pre-season, August, 1976, Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois
42nd College All-Stars (0) vs. Pittsburgh (24)
Halted by lightning.
- September 1, 1960, Packer Practice Fields, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Winds from a severe thunderstorm on a hot and humid afternoon
blow over a tower used for filming practice. The tower struck
Packer middle linebacker
Ray Nitschke on the head. Luckily he was wearing his helmet
as a bolt from the tower pierced his helmet and came just short
of hitting his skull.
- Thanksgiving Day, 1949, City Stadium, Green Bay, Wisconsin
"Packer All-Stars" Exhibition
Fund-raising event played in heavy snow.